Monday, February 13, 2012

I was honored to be a speaker at the 2nd International Urban Sketchers Symposium in Lisbon last August. While there my wife Patti, daughter Cassie and I made a day trip by train up the coast to the little resort village of Estoril.  It was a fantastic day for sketching at the beach, experiencing another side of the laid-back culture of coastal Portugal. This 2-page spread in my large Moleskine watercolor sketchbook was originally posted as a black and white line sketch; I only now summoned the time and courage to add color.  I was happily surprised at the result, and think it captures the spirit of the day. Yes, the umbrellas really were that colorful!


  1. No reason to be surprised at the color result, Jim! You have a masterful eye...and touch. Great job! We need Judith to put this one on the banner!

  2. I was just thinking that myself. Great sketch.